Understanding Ring Size
When it comes to engagement rings and wedding rings, in this case, one thing is for sure: size does matters. Universal or standard ring sizes are given in millimetres based on the inner circumference of a ring. Rings are sized on a standard scale so that a woman’s size 5 should be the same from jeweller to jeweller. With that in mind, as with clothing and brands, sometimes a size 5 isn’t a size 5 and may fit completely different. The same goes for rings.
Ring sizing also can be different based on geography. Canada and the US follow a numerical scale with half and quarter sizes; however, other countries may follow an alphabetical scale, which only uses whole sizes or includes a set circumference adjustments. There are also some deviations of ring size charts among jewellers regardless of location. The metrics have to do with the starting point of your ring size—either on the side edge of the ring or the centre of the inside of the ring.
With all of these factors in play, we also need to consider the style. For instance, if you have a ring with diamonds all the way around it cannot be sized after they’re designed because it will stretch the metal holding the stones in place causing them to fall out.
How to Measure Ring Size at Home
Carnabys encourages you to take the time to get the correct size from the beginning. The most desirable way is to visit us at our location so we can ensure the correct fit. If you want to gift a ring to someone and keep it a surprise or are unable to come into our store we present a few suggestions for you.
Carnaby’s Printable Ring Sizer
This ring size method is based on the inside diameter measurement of a ring that fits the fourth finger of the left hand.
- Print the ring size chart. Make sure when your printing your setting options are set to actual size, or choose “Scale 100%”
- Place the ring over the circles, lining up the inside edges of the ring to the circle that best matches on the ring size chart. If the ring is in between two sizes, always choose the larger ring size.
Carnabys Printable Paper Strip Ring Size
This ring size method uses a tape measure approach with specific ring metrics.
- Print the ring sizer, Make sure when your printing your setting options are set to actual size, or choose “Scale 100%”
- Cut out the ring sizer and open the slot where marked.
- With the numbers facing out, slip the tip of the ring sizer through the slot.
- Place the sizer on your ring finger and carefully pull taut to read the finger size.
While each of these ring size methods is fast, convenient and free, there may be accuracy discrepancies due to things such as printer settings or stretch of the string. Consider using more than one ring size method for a “measure twice, cut once” approach to ring sizing. And always use any tools or follow any tips provided on the jeweller’s website.
Carnabys Ring Sizing Tips
Try these ring sizing tricks of the trade to find the perfect fit.
- Go for a snug fit. We believe a ring should slide on easy and be a bit difficult to come off. This equates to a proper fit for the finger and diminishes the risk of losing the ring.
- Keep seasons in mind. Weather plays a role when purchasing a ring. Your fingers tend to change size throughout the course of the year, especially during summer and winter. They will swell and then retract especially during summer and fall, make sure the ring fits comfortably.
- Consider the width of the band. When the band is wide, it will logically fit tighter. We suggest going up.25 to .5 for rings with wider designs.
- Warm up your hands. If you’ve just come in from the cold or naturally have colder hands, make sure you try to warm them to room temperature for the most accurate ring sizing.
- Bigger is better. If you get two different finger measurements or find that a ring you wear often fits differently from time to time, better to choose a slightly larger ring size, and, if you can, come in and see us for accurate measurements.
How to Measure Ring Size without them knowing
Wondering how to measure ring size without her/him knowing? Don’t worry! You don’t have to ruin a surprise proposal by asking your partner their ring size. We suggest a few things to help keep your surprise.
How to measure ring size and keep your surprise:
If you would rather not ask someone their ring size we have a few suggestions that might help you to choose the correct size.
- Seek the assistance of someone close to them who you know will keep your secret.
- If you have access to a ring they own you can use it to measure the size. Even making an imprint of soap can be useful. Or slide it on your finger and measure where it comes to.
- We have ring sizing instruments in-store if you can arrange to bring in a ring they are not wearing.
- If you are not able to get an exact size then choose a larger size ring. It can be sized down much easier than it can be made larger. Engagement rings purchased at Carnabys receive one complementary sizing within 30 days of purchase.
- Talk to everyone you can who knows her/him. Find an insider source who might have the scoop on what ring size she wears. A mom, best friend or brother/sister may know or can work their magic to find out her ring size without them suspecting a thing.
- Try to pay attention to the Jewellery they are wearing, take notes, wait for them to remove it to use the Carnabys Ring Chart to measure or you could even make an imprint on soap and bring it into the shop.
- If they only take it off for minimal time, then slid it on to your finger and measure where it fits on yours.
- We have ring sizing instruments in-store for those who can sneak the ring away so we can properly measure for you.
- When all else fails, go for a larger ring size; it’s easier to resize a ring smaller than it is to go bigger.